7 really fun things to do in Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom during the holidays
Whether you’re a local just looking for interesting activities or perhaps a new visitor to the area, these places and/or things should make your visit to the area delightful. Of course, we’ve got two comfy and warm places for you to stay with tons of options so reserve your room now with either the Newport City Inn & Suites or the Derby Four Seasons Inn & Suites. When it comes to comfort and a warm place to relax and sleep, we’ve literally got you covered!
- Do you like to ski or snowboard?
If so, then you’ll LOVE Jay Peak! Jay Peak is a four season resort in Northern Vermont, close to Canada and the Burlington, VT area. Enjoy the East’s best skiing and snowboarding. Jay offers a mountain getaway for everyone. After skiing, restaurants and pubs welcome you to a relaxing way to wind down and warm up. Kids young and old will love the year-round indoor water park and ice arena if skiing and snowboarding aren’t your thing.
- Snowmobiling. If the weather cooperates and you’re a fan of snowmobiling then you will want to come to the Northeast Kingdom, known as the “snowmobiling capital of Vermont” with it’s huge amount of VAST trails and scenic vistas.
- Dining out. The Newport and Derby area features a number of great American style restaurants along with ethnic choices Asian and Austrian/German cuisine. Newport boasts perhaps one of the best, most authentic Thai restaurants in Vermont, (easily besting any – even in the Burlington area). You won’t be bored with choices for dining.
- Shopping. In addition to some great restaurants, Newport’s Main Street has some options for shopping as well. You will also find a large variety of places to shop on the Derby Road, with a recently opened “super” WalMart and many other places to browse and buy.
- The Goodrich Memorial Library is like walking into a time machine and going back 100 years.
The building at the top of Main St., Newport is certainly iconic, to say the least. In addition to being a library it is also a bit of a museum and the perfect place to explore and read a book. Equally impressive is the Haskell Opera House in Derby Line, which is also a library. The building itself is remarkably unique, overlapping the USA and Canadian border line, literally!
- Cross Country Skiing and Snowshoeing. The Memphremagog Ski Touring Foundation provides information about groomed ski trails that will appeal to cross country skiers of every level.
The snow covered single tracks are also the perfect place for winter Fat Bike riding on Western Trails. There are also many opportunities in the area and places for those who prefer a slower pace and like to snowshoe.
- Kingdom Games offers a variety of events throughout the year such as the Memphremagog Ice Skating Festival, held on February 18, 19, 20, 2017 with the Memphremagog Winter Swim Festival coming on March 3, 4, 5, 2017.
Although we’ve given you 7 great ideas of things to do in Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom, there are many more.
Be sure to check with our front desk about any current events going on during your stay with us. Both of our locations are fully stocked with kiosks featuring colorful brochures and information about the Northeast Kingdom area.
Quick travel tip: If you happen to be out driving around the Irasburg area, be sure to look for the “castle”!